As one of the most captivating and culturally rich destinations in the Middle East, Saudi Arabia offers a plethora of must-see locations, attractions, activities, and foods that are sure to leave any traveler in awe. From ancient historical sites to modern marvels, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is a treasure trove of diverse experiences that cater to all interests and budgets. So, let’s embark on a virtual journey and explore the top must-see places, attractions, activities, foods, and their respective budgets for an unforgettable visit to this enchanting country.
Can I visit Saudi Arabia in the summer and wear shorts?
While shorts may not be appropriate in public due to the conservative dress code, there are still plenty of reasons to visit Saudi Arabia in the summer. From exploring the stunning Red Sea coastline to indulging in local cuisine and enjoying air-conditioned indoor attractions, there are ways to beat the heat and make your summer visit to Saudi Arabia a memorable experience
Explore Saudi Arabia: Must-See Tourist Attractions and Historical Locations
- Al Ula – Nestled in the heart of the desert, Al Ula is a breathtaking destination that boasts a unique landscape of sandstone formations known as “The Elephant Rock” and the ancient city of Hegra, a UNESCO World Heritage site with well-preserved tombs carved into the rocks.
Budget: Admission fee to Al Ula Heritage Site starts from 300 SAR (approximately 80 USD) for adults, and free for children under 12 years old.
- Riyadh – The capital city of Saudi Arabia, Riyadh is a modern metropolis that offers a blend of rich heritage and contemporary charm. Explore the iconic Masmak Fortress, immerse in the vibrant local markets, and indulge in the local cuisine.
Budget: Admission to Masmak Fortress is free, while the average cost of a meal in a mid-range restaurant is around 50 SAR (approximately 13 USD) per person.
- Jeddah – Known as the “Bride of the Red Sea,” Jeddah is a coastal city with a captivating mix of ancient history and modernity. Stroll along the historic Al-Balad district, marvel at the awe-inspiring King Fahd’s Fountain, and enjoy the vibrant street art scene.
Budget: Admission to King Fahd’s Fountain is free, and street food options start from around 10 SAR (approximately 2.7 USD) per dish.
Saudi Arabia’s Enchanting Treasures: Must-See Attractions:
- The Red Sea – Saudi Arabia’s coastline along the Red Sea is a paradise for marine enthusiasts. Embark on a diving or snorkeling adventure to explore the vibrant coral reefs, encounter colorful marine life, and soak in the stunning underwater scenery.
Budget: Prices for a guided snorkeling or diving trip start from around 200 SAR (approximately 53 USD) per person, depending on the location and duration of the tour.
- Madain Saleh – This ancient Nabatean city, also known as the “Al-Hijr,” is a UNESCO World Heritage site and a remarkable showcase of the region’s rich history and architecture. Explore the well-preserved tombs, facades, and inscriptions that date back to the 1st century AD.
Budget: Admission fee to Madain Saleh starts from 85 SAR (approximately 23 USD) for adults, and free for children under 12 years old.
- Al Wahbah Crater – Located in the heart of the desert, the Al Wahbah Crater is a mesmerizing natural wonder formed by volcanic activity. Trek through the rocky terrain and witness the stunning salt flat at the bottom of the crater, offering a surreal experience.
Budget: Admission to Al Wahbah Crater is free, but a guided tour may cost around 200 SAR (approximately 53 USD) per person.
Unforgettable Experiences: Must-Do Activities for Adventure Seekers in Saudi Arabia”
- Camel Riding – Embark on a traditional camel ride through the desert dunes, a quintessential Saudi Arabian experience that allows you to immerse in the Bedouin culture and enjoy the breathtaking scenery of the vast desert landscape.
Budget: Prices for a camel ride experience start from around 50 SAR (approximately 13 USD) per person for a short ride, and can vary depending on the duration and location of the ride.
- Sandboarding – For adventure seekers, sandboarding is a thrilling activity that allows you to slide down the sandy slopes of the desert dunes on a board, similar to snowboarding. Experience the adrenaline rush as you glide down the golden sand dunes for an unforgettable adventure.
Budget: Prices for sandboarding start from around 100 SAR (approximately 27 USD) per person, including equipment rental and a guided session.
- Traditional Saudi Arabian Dance – Immerse in the rich cultural heritage of Saudi Arabia by witnessing traditional dance performances such as the Ardha, a captivating sword dance performed by men, and the traditional folk dance of Al-Arda, performed by women. Be mesmerized by the rhythmic movements, colorful costumes, and cultural significance of these traditional dances.
Budget: Admission to cultural shows and performances may vary, with some being free and others costing around 50-100 SAR (approximately 13-27 USD) per person, depending on the venue and type of performance.
Saudi Arabian Cuisine: Must-Try Foods and Culinary Delights
- Kabsa – A classic Saudi Arabian dish, Kabsa is a flavorful rice-based dish usually made with fragrant basmati rice, tender meat (such as chicken, lamb, or camel), and an array of aromatic spices. It is often garnished with nuts and served with a side of creamy tomato sauce, creating a burst of flavors that will tantalize your taste buds.
Budget: Prices for a plate of Kabsa in a local restaurant start from around 30-50 SAR (approximately 8-13 USD) per person, depending on the type of meat and restaurant.
- Shawarma – A popular Middle Eastern dish, Shawarma is a mouthwatering treat made with marinated and roasted meat (such as chicken, beef, or lamb) that is thinly sliced and served in a wrap or pita bread with a variety of fillings such as vegetables, pickles, and sauces. It is a delicious and convenient option for a quick and satisfying meal.
Budget: Prices for a Shawarma sandwich start from around 10-20 SAR (approximately 2.7-5.3 USD) per sandwich, depending on the fillings and location.
- Kunafa – A delectable Saudi Arabian dessert, Kunafa is made with layers of shredded phyllo dough filled with sweet cheese, soaked in a sugar syrup flavored with rosewater, and baked to perfection. It is a delightful and indulgent treat that is perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth.
Budget: Prices for a serving of Kunafa start from around 10-20 SAR (approximately 2.7-5.3 USD) per serving, depending on the size and type of restaurant.
Budgeting for Your Saudi Arabia Trip: Luxury vs. Mid-Range Travel Options
Saudi Arabia offers a wide range of options for travelers with different budgets. Here is a rough estimate of the average daily expenses for a visit to Saudi Arabia:
- Budget Traveler: For budget travelers, staying in budget hotels or hostels, eating at local street food stalls, and opting for free or low-cost activities, the average daily expenses can range from 100-200 SAR (approximately 27-53 USD) per day.
- Mid-Range Traveler: For mid-range travelers, staying in mid-range hotels or guesthouses, eating at local restaurants, and participating in moderate-cost activities, the average daily expenses can range from 300-500 SAR (approximately 80-133 USD) per day.
- Luxury Traveler: For luxury travelers, staying in upscale hotels, dining at high-end restaurants, and indulging in premium activities, the average daily expenses can exceed 1000 SAR (approximately 267 USD) per day.
It’s important to note that these are rough estimates and actual expenses may vary depending on individual preferences and travel style.
In conclusion, Saudi Arabia is a destination with a rich cultural heritage and diverse natural landscapes that offer a wide array of must-see locations, must-try foods, must-do activities, and budgets to suit different types of travelers. From exploring historical sites and indulging in traditional cuisine to experiencing thrilling adventures and immersing in local customs, a visit to Saudi Arabia is sure to be a unique and enriching experience. Just remember to respect the local culture, customs, and laws while enjoying your trip to this beautiful and captivating country. Happy travels!
Saudi Arabia Travel FAQs: Visa Requirements, Alcohol, and More
- Do I need a visa to visit Saudi Arabia?
Answer: Yes, most visitors to Saudi Arabia require a visa to enter the country. However, Saudi Arabia has recently introduced an e-visa system that allows tourists from eligible countries to apply for a visa online before their trip.
- What are the main tourist attractions in Saudi Arabia?
Answer: Saudi Arabia offers a wide range of tourist attractions, including historical sites such as AlUla, Mada’in Saleh, and Diriyah, natural wonders like the Red Sea and the Empty Quarter, cultural experiences such as the local markets (souks) and traditional dance performances, and modern cities like Riyadh and Jeddah.
- What is the dress code for tourists in Saudi Arabia?
Answer: Women in Saudi Arabia are required to wear modest clothing that covers their shoulders and knees in public, and are also required to wear an abaya (a loose, black cloak) when in public. Men are expected to dress modestly as well. However, in tourist areas, the dress code may be more relaxed for foreigners.
- Can women travel alone in Saudi Arabia?
Answer: Yes, women can travel alone in Saudi Arabia. However, it’s important to be aware of the local customs and follow the dress code and other regulations for women while in the country. It’s also advisable to exercise caution and take necessary precautions for personal safety.
- Is it safe to travel to Saudi Arabia?
Answer: Saudi Arabia is generally considered a safe destination for tourists. However, it’s always important to exercise caution and follow the local laws and customs. It’s also recommended to check the latest travel advisories from your home country before planning your trip.
- Can I consume alcohol in Saudi Arabia?
Answer: No, the consumption of alcohol is strictly prohibited in Saudi Arabia, as it is a country with a strict interpretation of Islamic law. It is important to respect the local laws and customs regarding alcohol during your visit.
- What is the currency used in Saudi Arabia?
Answer: The currency used in Saudi Arabia is the Saudi Riyal (SAR). Cash is widely used in the country, and credit cards are accepted in most hotels, restaurants, and shops in major cities.
- What is the weather like in Saudi Arabia?
Answer: Saudi Arabia has a hot and arid climate, with temperatures often exceeding 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit) during the summer months. However, the weather can vary depending on the region, with coastal areas experiencing milder temperatures and higher humidity.
- What language is spoken in Saudi Arabia?
Answer: Arabic is the official language of Saudi Arabia. English is also widely spoken, especially in major cities and tourist areas.
- What are the local customs and etiquette in Saudi Arabia?
Answer: Saudi Arabia has its own set of customs and etiquette that visitors should be aware of, including dressing modestly, respecting local traditions and customs, avoiding public displays of affection, and refraining from eating or drinking in public during the holy month of Ramadan. It’s important to familiarize yourself with the local customs and follow them during your visit to Saudi Arabia.
Please note that the regulations and policies in Saudi Arabia may change, and it’s always recommended to check the latest information before planning your trip.
Are you planning a trip to Saudi Arabia and looking for the best deals on flights and hotels? Look no further! At Pro Travel Assist, we offer a wide range of travel services to help you plan your perfect trip.
If you’re in search of cheap flights, our partner website OriTravelAssist.com offers a comprehensive flight comparison tool that allows you to compare prices from various airlines and find the most affordable options. Check out our cheap flights page to find the best deals and save on your airfare.
For affordable hotel options, our website ProTravelAssist.com provides a hotel comparison tool that enables you to compare prices from different hotels and find the most suitable accommodation for your budget. Visit our affordable hotels page to find the best rates and book your stay with ease.
At Pro Travel Assist, we strive to provide the best travel solutions for our customers. Check out our website ProTravelAssist for other travel services, including car rentals, travel insurance, and more. Trust us to assist you in making your travel dreams come true!